Wednesday 20 June 2012

Pizza Rolls



Pizza Rolls
 I was at a scrap-booking event a few weeks ago and we had a potluck, one woman brought pizza rolls which were absolutely amazing. They were small like muffins and she had made them the night before and reheated them for the event. I thought that the would be great for the boys lunches and easy to make.  She gave me verbal run down of the recipe and I couldn't find one online but I think I nailed it, my hubby and the boys love them huge success!





Pizza rolls are made with a similar technique to cinnamon buns but with pizza dough and pizza fillings.You start by making pizza dough, I use a simple quick rise yeast dough

2 1/2 cups  flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp Yeast
2 tsp sugar
1 cup warm water (not boiling you will kill the yeast)
1/4 oil

First mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl to allow for doubling in size with the rise.  Then mix the water and oil together and add to the dry ingredients. Mix together just untill all the flour is mixed in.  Cover with a dish towel and let the yeast work for 20 min.  The dough should double in size. Squish out the air and roll out a rectangular pizza

Bellow are a mix of pictures using a whole wheat dough I got at Deluca's Italian grocery store in Winnipeg, and some using my dough.
I liked the consistence in size I got rolling the dough with a rolling pin you could do it with you hands

You need the dough rectangle to be about 8 inches wide then length doesn't mater as it just determines how many rolls you get. you want the dough to be 1/2 cm thick (I am Canadian). with half the dough recipie I can get mine the length of a standard cookie sheet.

next step is to get you favorite pizza topping ready, I used PC 4 cheese pasta sauce, chorizo sausage, smoked turkey and yellow orange and red peppers so J & L get there veggies, topped with mozzarella cheese.
My toppings


spreading sauce
next comes the meat

roll the pizza

Then peppers and cheese.
Slice 2 1/2 cm thick 

The slicing part gets a little messy as you slice you transfer the rolls in to a muffin tin, after a bit of experimenting I find that the individual silicon muffin cups on a cookie sheet work best (I don't have a picture showing this) if you use a metal muffin tin make sure it is not stick or well greased, I used Wilton cake release and it worked wonderful..  Remember it is OK if some of the filling comes off just put what fell off on top of the roll and when the cheese bubbles up it you will never know.
Bake at 425F for 25 min. or until golden on top.

Rolls in a silicon muffin tin.

Finished product
Hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as mine did!

No comments:

Post a Comment